Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Theraplay®

We had our first session with our new therapist last night at our home. Or rather, I should say, I had a first session with our new therapist. My son made poor decisions yesterday at summer camp, which led to even poorer decisions when he got home, which resulted in him spending the session in his room. I was really impressed and soothed by her. She inspired hope even in the midst of the anger I was experiencing at that moment, which is really saying something. She also seemed competent and knowledgeable. She was able to communicate acceptance and a lack of judgment; I felt like what she heard was not shocking to her and was nothing she had not experienced or worked with before. These factors are very important to me, because it offers some insight on whether we would be able to work well together in the future.

This was primarily an introductory session, which included reviewing our family history and my son's presenting problems. We will meet 1 or 2 more times in order to build rapport and for us all to get to know each other. Then begin the recommended treatment intervention.

What is Theraplay®?

"The Theraplay approach assumes both that change is possible and that the essential ingredients of change lie in the creation of a more positive relationship between a child and his parents." I am really excited about beginning this treatment plan. I had a cursory knowledge about Theraplay® before, but our therapist explained how she expected this intervention to help my son to better self-regulate his emotions and behavior, as well as increasing the attachment between us. There is a baseline session, MIM, in which my son and I will engage in structured play activities together. The purpose is to assess our current level of attachment and how we interact with each other. The sessions are videotaped and I see the added benefit of watching myself and looking at and addressing my own dysfunctional patterns. At the end of the intervention, 16-20 sessions later, the MIM will be repeated and we will be able to measure our progress.

Anyway, I'm excited and hopeful and ready to begin.

No comments: