Thursday, July 3, 2008

Sudanese Youth Camp 2008

Saba al khar (Good morning)!!

My son and I spent this past week at the Sudanese Youth Camp. In fact, as I type this post, I am sitting on the front porch of the camp, watching a soccer game that is being played by both girls and boys and mostly in their bare feet. . . AMAZING!! This is the second year for us. The camp originated about 6 years ago and it is designed for the children of Sudanese refugees that have migrated to the U.S. The children range in age from 11 to 21 years old; they come from all over the country, as far away as Nebraska to as close as Nashville and Memphis. We were joined this year by a couple of children from the Ivory Coast, also on the African continent. Each day, the camp experience balances religious study and worship services with play. There is much fun to be had by both the adults and children.

I have been able to add a few Arabic and French words to my vocabulary this year; I still have difficulties 'hearing' this language, but it has helped that many of the worship songs were translated into English for us non Arabic speaking types.

I plan to spend the next couple posts sharing some of the events and activities, as well as pictures from this past week. This week has been both uplifting, and at times, very frustrating for me. Sometimes, even among a group of God-seeking, Christ-loving Christians, there is conflict; but thankfully, through His love, there is also resolution. Each year, I learn a little more about Sudanese culture. I received some helpful parenting tips from the Sudanese mothers that I hope to incorporate into my daily interactions with my son. My son has benefitted from living in a village of fathers and brothers. He also experienced his first, but surely not last painful lesson about growing into manhood. I just hope that I survive his journey.

Anyway, there is much to come. . .

No comments: