Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Overcoming the High Places

The following was taken from a blog post from the pastor of my church, Pastor Thomas Murray. The message struck me as timely and I thought I'd share.


"Overcoming the High Places"
This past Sunday, part of my sermon focused on overcoming the high places in our lives. There is a word in 2 Kings 12: 2-3, that talks about how "King Joash did what pleased God for as long as Jehoida the high priest instructed him". In verse # 3 it states "the high places however were not removed; the people continued to offer sacrifices and burn incense there". How do we overcome those places in our lives that represents sin and separating from God? What do you do when you're trying to be faithful and you have not eliminated the High Places? High Places are strongholds that continue to attach themselves to us as we try to live right, High Places keeps us from walking in our God-given destiny, and living beneath the standard set by God. There is no set strategy, no 3 point plan for overcoming the High Places but we are encouraged in James 4:7 "to resist the devil and he will flee from us". I like the way The Message Bible by Eugene H. Peterson puts it "Yell aloud no to the devil and watch him scamper". Try that for today along with prayer and mean what you say and watch God help you overcome. And remember, Revelation 12:11 "We overcome by the blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony"..
Be blessed,
Pastor Thomas Murray

5 comments:

That Writer Chick said...

Kiayaphd, I really needed this today after what I went through yesterday so thank you because sometimes I forget.

Kiayaphd said...

Girl, I did too! God always sends us a word just when we need it, right?

Anonymous said...

I can honestly relate to the idea of "high places" in our lives, although most of them don't feel very high at all. As a matter of fact, most of them feel rather low. However, I like what the Pastor said- resist the devil and he shall flee. Yeah, he might come back again but you have to continue to resist until God brings forth full deliverance. If you yell, you're sure to get someone's attention. No doubt! So do what you have to do... Be blessed!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the post. Knowing that I have the authority over the high places in my life through my voice using the word of GOD the blood of the LAMB is awesome. This blog was further reassurance that I am on the right track to overcome the high places in my life. Thanks for sharing.

Charmane

Just Kel said...

I am printing this out and posting it right on my cubicle wall.

I like the Message Bible version!