Thursday, September 4, 2008

Mad Men

About this show: (taken from the AMC website) "Set in 1960s New York, the sexy, stylized and provocative AMC drama Mad Men follows the lives of the ruthlessly competitive men and women of Madison Avenue advertising, an ego-driven world where key players make an art of the sell."

I must admit, I was not initially intrigued or compelled to watch this show. The ads were too vague and I have never thought of AMC as the place to go for original programming. However, I think this is TV's best kept secret. I was totally bored out of my mind a couple Sunday evenings ago and found myself watching the beginning of Season 2. Omigoodness! This is the most intelligent programming I have seen in ages! I am enthralled by the complexity of these characters, and the conflict displayed here. It is interesting to watch 21st century morals (or lack thereof) played out in the context of the 1960's, when ole fashion family values was initially coined. Don Draper, played by an unknown actor (to me) Jon Hamm, is sexy, complicated, scandalous and confused, oh, did I mention SEXY? I am not an avid TV watcher; I turn on the tube when I have exhausted everything else. On any given week, my TV may be on for a total of 2-3 hours max. But I am now eagerly looking forward to next Sunday. If you have cable or satellite, I strongly recommend tuning in to this program. Sundays, 9pm central time.



2 comments:

Mary63 said...

I wanted to say this is my ALL TIME favorite show! I try to get everyone I talk to to watch it. It's absolutely brilliant in every way! I love shows about flawed characters. If you want to chat about the show off this blog, you can email me at mary.rye@elavon.com. (I am a friend of Beverly's) I'd love to chat with you about it. I've yet to find anyone at work or family who I can dish with about this show!

Kiayaphd said...

Mary63, you are heaven sent! I have not been able to find a SOUL to discuss this show with. I should understand this, given thatI didn't get hooked until the 2nd season, but still. . .

I placed Season 1 in my queue at Netflix and should be getting it tomorrow. I'm going to spend the next few days engorging myself on "Sterling and Cooper"!!!

I'll send you an email shortly. If you've seen Season 1, don't tell me a thing until I've finished catching up!!

I can say, that I didn't fully understand that Don Draper was such a 'ho'. I was thinking he was just feeling insecure because of his medical condition!! I also have a hundred million questions about what's-her-name's hushed up baby and adoption.

Anyway, looking forward to chatting with you. And for anyone else who may be lurking that follows this show, please, chime in!!