Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A New Beginning

I’m sure that I’m not the only one eagerly looking forward to 2009! I can’t wait to see what the coming year holds in store for my family. Especially since, when I look back over some of my life experiences during 2008, my only response is a heartfelt,


“Whew! Glad that’s over!”


2008 produced an onslaught of job stress, family crises, conflicted relationships, and straining finances; I’m still trying to recover from pulling up at the gas station to see Regular Unleaded gas sold for $3.88!


We dealt with an uncooperative and at times, hostile, school system. I personally struggled to resolve a longstanding family issue. Unfortunately, I don’t always handle stress well. So, let’s add to the list a few extra pounds and insomnia.


But as low as my circumstances were this the past year, I am blessed by the knowledge that it could have been much worse. Every time I’m tempted to complain, I remember who is in control of not only my blessings but my trials as well.


In the midst of every crisis I’ve encountered, God was all over it. Yes, gas prices were absolutely horrid this year, but I didn’t walk once or ride a bus. Problems at school kept me on my knees, but the job I just started in March, allowed me to modify my schedule, making it possible to homeschool my child and remove him from that hostile environment. Dr John Guns from Jacksonville Florida arrived at ATOP in the spring, just when I had reached my emotional bottom. He spoke of how unresolved hurts kept us in bondage and emphasized the need to forgive those who hurt us. Forgiveness will set you free, he said. He was right! And . . . God allowed me to witness the election of the first African American president in the history of the United States!


And so, because of my financial crises, I’m a much better manager and steward over my finances. My relationships are slower to reach crisis point because of my renewed ability to listen with my heart instead of my ears. Even my productivity at work is improved in response to my gratitude. Oh, and because I’m getting better at turning my crises over to the Lord and learning to give Him praise even in the midst of my trials? I’ve lost 5 pounds! Yay! I’m also a little less cynical about the mindset of the American people or maybe, I can just see that there are others like me, who are finally ready for real change.


So, yes, I am grateful to see the end of 2008.


Whew! Glad that’s over!


I can’t wait to see God’s miracles of 2009.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like the blessing outweighed the hardships. But I know that when we are going through it it doesn't seem that way.
I can't wait for 2009 hopefully I can get this year right.

Kiayaphd said...

Sharon, I am seriously praying for your prosperity and peace in 2009!

That Writer Chick said...

I am so with you on this one!

clnmike said...

I know how you feel, lol.

I am glad 2008 is done with.

Kiayaphd said...

Thanks, MzTeeJaye!

Mike, I've already started my end of the year countdown!

Just Kel said...

Truly you have been blessed. I pray that you and your family have a prosperous New Year. You are well on your way.

One thing you said that I want to adopt... listen with my heart instead of my ears. Such an incredible virtue.

Wishing you a wonderfully blessed, safe and satisfying New Year!!!

Kiayaphd said...

Yes, God has blessed us, you and I both.

I'm praying for your continued blessings in 2009, peace and prosperity.

God Bless!