Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Adventures in Homeschooling

As some may know, we made the decision recently to remove my child from the public school system and try homeschooling. This was a difficult process and decision, but the alternative was not to be considered, and so, here we are. No one is more surprised than I am that I could maintain a full time job and meet and even exceed his educational needs. Thank God for an employer who allows me to be flexible in my schedule.

We are now in our second week and my conclusion so far is "why didn't I do this sooner?"

Aside from the fact that I now have TWO full time jobs, the sacrifice is well worth the extra efforts. I have a brilliant little boy!! I can say that without bragging since I did not contribute to his DNA. He absorbs new information like a sponge! I can actually see the excitement about learning returning to his eyes and he eagerly looks forward to each new lesson. I am also gradually seeing a reduction in the anxiety and stress that had become such a part of him in the past few months.

As is par for the course for me, I've been researching my butt off about different homeschooling philosophy, methods and curricula. I naively assumed that I could do a simple Google search for 2nd grade homeschooling, and would find a single unit or recommendation for instruction. Uh. . . NO! Apparently, the predominant idea is that since I have chosen to take responsibility for his education, I can pretty much teach him whatever I want.

One of the recommendations that I am taking to heart is to let my child dictate and guide what and how I will teach. Whichever curriculum I choose should take advantage of his strengths and maximize his weaknesses. The pace of instruction will be dictated by his ability to absorb and internalize the information. I now understand that part of his struggles in the regular classroom is that he does not require a stepwise progression to learning; he is a concept/abstract learner, a big picture thinker. He gets really impatient when I try to teach in increments; ok, his mommy is a big picture thinker too, so things just got really interesting for me!

Even though he is nearly a semester behind, due to all of the chaos that has been going on since September, he reads on a 3rd or 4th grade level. So, I'm KO'ing the weekly Spelling tests and we're now focusing on building Reading Comprehension. Math and Science comes naturally to him too; and so I know I will have to be creative and more experiential in these subjects than I am perhaps comfortable with.

I found a curriculum that I will use as a base, KONOS. It is Christian based and focuses on developing values and character. We start each morning with a brief bible study and each semester is driven by a character theme: our theme for the next several weeks is Obedience. The lessons are active and hands on, with very few paper/pencil, worksheet lessons.

I will supplement KONOS with traditional reading, writing, math, and science lessons because I know that he will, at some point, return to a formal education system, and I want him to have an easy transition.

So, let the adventure begin. . .

8 comments:

That Writer Chick said...

I really admire what you're doing..I thought about it at one time, but I am so not a teacher! You seem to have it all in order though, so good luck...your son is lucky to have you!

Kiayaphd said...

Aw thanks. I'm lucky to have him, so it all works out, right?

Parents are natural teachers, the homeschooling just kinda formalizes the process.

This was the best choice for us, for now. I'm just glad I am able to do it.

clnmike said...

That a tough thing your doing, but you got a plan that looks like a winner. What about his social life?

Kiayaphd said...

Good question Mike. He is at an afterschool program when I have to go back to work. He is also on a soccer team and is active in the youth ministry at our church.

The real question should be, what about his mother's social life?!!!

Unknown said...

Glad eveything is working out for both of you.
And I am sure that it takes much patience. More than I have so I appauld you.

Kiayaphd said...

Thanks Sharon! You're right, this does require patience, but I'm looking at it as an investment into my son's future success. When I want to get frustrated, this reminder keeps me on task.

clnmike said...

Lol, I think your social life will pickup.

Kiayaphd said...

Mike: you know something I don't? Do tell!