Monday, October 20, 2008

Great News!

I have great news from this weekend. My son joined our church, made his first confession of faith and is now a candidate for baptism!!!

All praises to God!

He surprised me too. We have been talking about baptism but he kept saying he was not ready and so, we had not spoken of it in a couple weeks. Imagine my surprise when members of the children's church came over to stand before the adult congregation and MY SON was among the group. I think everybody in the building heard my holla!!!

In other news, we have decided to loc his hair!! I had (still have) some reservations, mostly due possible peer pressure and how he will handle being outside of the norm at school. He's only 7 after all.

But here's our dilemma: he doesn't want to wear it cut low (neither do I); but when it gets this length, we struggle more with the brush and comb, which usually leads to arguments in the morning (neither of us likes this). He has made references about other people he knows who are loc'd and he likes the look of it. My hair is in twists 80% of the time and I notice he likes to play in my hair too. Anyway, we were snuggling Saturday night while watching a movie and I started playing in his hair. Before I knew it, the first row was twisted and we both liked what we saw. He wanted to do the whole head, and I talked him out of it.

We spent Sunday afternoon with family and I finally gave in to the pressure; his, my sister's and nieces/nephew.

So, after some trial and error, I finally decided to start his locs with braids. Now here comes the challenge. I need research and advice now on how to maintain them, especially after the loc'ing process begins. If anyone has any suggestions or knowledge to pass on, I'll gladly receive it.

So, here's my proud boy!




10 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you say congrats to a person getting baptisted?
If you can Congratulation to you and your son. Or good work.

Sorry I really don't know.

And what is the norm? I always tell my children to be who they want.

Kiayaphd said...

You know, I'm not sure what the proper greeting is, but I receive yours anyway. Thanks!

I am teaching my son to be himself, but I also understand that's a tall order for a 7 year old. I'm trying to guide him there in increments. I just hope it doesn't take him as long as it did me.

clnmike said...

Congrats to little man.

Anonymous said...

Found your blog on a blog that leaves me scratching my head. You sll are actual friends? Congrats to your little man and his baby locs are adorable.

Kiayaphd said...

Ok, anonymous

Now that I'm done crackin' up at your comment, you know I really want to know who you are and whose blog you're referring to.

Do tell!!

Anonymous said...

LOL, Hmmm, I am referring to your republican friend. Nothing against Republicans, my BF is A Republican,lol.

Anonymous said...

I meant to say I was surprised to find your blog there as your views seem so different.

Kiayaphd said...

Ahhhh, she and I are diametrically opposite in terms of our political beliefs and worldview. She is more conservative than I in terms of our religious beliefs, although we both believe in God the father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

We agree wholeheartedly in our beliefs about adoption and the love we have for our adopted children.

Hope that clears up the mystery!!

Again, who did you say you are? You're welcome to come by anytime!!

Anonymous said...

Yea! For the Baptism. I also like the the locs. Tell your son he looks cool. I don't have any children but I think I would be teary touched (lol I know this is incorrect but anyway lol)if my baby went to the as they use to say 'morning bench'.

Charmane

Kiayaphd said...

Thanks Charmane!! I'll tell him you think he looks cool; he agrees with you!!!

He was soo proud of his confession and is looking for the actual baptism. I'll let you know the date and time when I get it.