Friday, May 8, 2009

Mother's Day

What makes a mother?

This question holds more significance for me now that I am a mother; and a single mother to boot.

I remember the first Mother's Day after my son came home. Mothers at our church were asked to stand so that the congregation could honor them. I stood up but I still remember even now how awkward it was for me. I almost felt like a fraud, that somehow I had not yet earned the title "Mother" even though my son had been in my heart, at that point, for over 3 years.

I knew even then that there was more to being a mother than having a legal document with your name on it or even giving birth. Take for example, the woman who actually gave birth to my child, or heck, my own mother. A mother does not necessarily have to be one who shares a bloodline either. I have been blessed to have two mothers, neither of which is directly related to me.

A mother is someone who has the ability to experience and provide unconditional love and acceptance. She accepts that many sacrifices will be made over the course of her child's lifetime and she gladly makes them. She looks at her child through the eyes of love through tantrums, disobedience, sickness, puke and diarrhea.

She absorbs the pain of skinned knees, shots at the doctor's office, first fight . . . first heartbreak. Her heart breaks with every swing of the switch and lifts with every sloppy wet kiss or simple grin. She rejoices when her child takes his first step, the first day of school, the first job.

Hers is the smile we look for the first thing in the morning and the end of long stressful days. We sleep the sleep of angels because we know that a mother is standing by, looking over us, protecting us as we sleep.

So, this Mother's Day, I celebrate because I never knew it was possible to love anyone the way that I love my son. I celebrate because I love being a mother and because I had never thought it possible that someone so small could make me so happy or feel so important. Or more satisfied.

Happy Mother's Day!!

2 comments:

Just Kel said...

Beautifully written.

Happy Belated Mother's Day to You.

I have 3 additional mothers and my mom gets jealous because she knows all of them. I love and need these women just as I need the woman who birthed me.

Okay, when rereading about your son making you feel satisfied, my eyes are tearing. I got to go! LOL

Again, this is beautiful and I hope you had a wonderful day.

Kiayaphd said...

Thank you, MsKIA! I had a very good day! My son "took" me to a movie and then dinner afterwards. LOL!

We are obviously too sentimental saps, because I was tearing up at YOUR words! LOL!

Thanks again.